Just like cauliflower, zucchini is so versatile in the low carb world of cooking. When my family calls in delivery pizza, I get busy in the kitchen making my own yummy low carb version to keep from pouncing on the takeout box. This time I thought it would be fun to see what I could do with some zucchini. Turns out, it makes an excellent low carb pizza crust!
As with other low carb alternatives to some of your "carby" favorites, my advice is to be realistic in expectations. It's not going to taste like "real" pizza, but it is a really yummy low carb much healthier alternative!
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- Italian seasoning (as much or as little as you want)
- Pizza Sauce (Most brands are low in carbs-check labels!)
- Pepperoni (or your choice of pizza toppings)
- *Optional: extra cheese
1. Chop up the zucchini and put into a blender along with the eggs, cheese, flax seed, and seasoning.
2. Spread mixture onto a small greased cookie sheet and bake at 475 until crispy.
3. Take out and then add a thin layer of pizza sauce, and the extra cheese and toppings you'd like
4. Bake again until your top is melty and crispy then take out and let cool for a bit.
*It may seem a bit mushy when you first take it out, but it will firm up more as it cools in the pan, although it will still seem a bit soft.
I hope you enjoy!